Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Heroes

This has been a strange football season.  First off the NFL was on strike and it looked like they would not get things together for the regular season, but they did.  Then Jim Tressel, the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes, who was the "straight and narrow" coach in NCAA football, was forced out of his job amid shame and scandal.  And then Penn State happened.  Joe Paterno was fired in a maelstrom of a sex scandal...

First, I have no words to describe my feelings toward what happened to those young boys.  Rage is the main one then it's a whole mess of mixed emotions and unanswered questions...

Child molestation is something that is so unthinkable, horrible and unfortunately unspeakable that it paralyses people with fear and disgust.  Because of that, the right thing isn't always done... or enough of the right thing.

This to me isn't about a football coach or about football at all.  It's about hope.  This horrible event has brought so much real attention to child molestation that maybe, just maybe, we won't be afraid to talk about it and ultimately do something about it.  Personally i think they should get the chair.

Joe Paterno was a hero to me.  I grew up in western Pennsylvania.  Not a huge PSU fan but always keeping an eye on them and Joe.  He did it "right", no compromise.  He was inspiring.  He made you want to  be a better person.  I read books about Joe and used to wish that I could someday play for him.  Never got to play for him.  Moved away from PA, to the home of Ohio State of all places, which oddly enough made me MORE of a college football fan and specifically PSU.  In the back of my mind over the last few years I have felt that Joe maybe needs to go.  I didn't want to see him die on the field.  I didn't want to see him got out like this either...

I'm not here to defend Joe.... I'm not even sure i could.  I would like to ask something all of you who take the few minutes out of your day to read my run on sentences and ramblings:  Look back on you life and think of the times you could have done more.  Remember that the next time you are in a position to do the right thing.  Try to do more of the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment