Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 23, 2011

The Gift of Mullet

I remember it well.  It was 1989, my sophomore year in college and all was fantastic.  My mullet was coming in nicely, my tiny gold hoop earring would sometimes catch the light and sparkle its ass off.  I was a master at cuffing my acid washed jeans and I could roll up the sleeves on my striped pastel shirts like a madman!    I was also involved with the campus  radio station WCCB... "involved" doesn't really sum it up.  I became obsessed.  I loved it.  I got elected to the board of directors my freshman year (an honor usually bestowed on upperclassmen) and the result of that was the campus newspaper, The Clarion Call, did a write up on me.  I really have no idea why...

So I show up for my "photo shoot" all pastel'd and mullet'd up when the photographer suggested me posing with the teddy bear.  It was the Christmas issue after all.  Well it really seemed like a good idea at the time...  As you can imagine there was some mocking.  My friends and total strangers took to calling me "Teddy Bear" for a while but, ultimately it passed and was forgotten.

Then MANY years later I show it to my friend and bandmate Marti.  I don't remember exactly how long she laughed but it was quite a while.  Understandably so.  It is awesome.  

So Marti, this is for you.  May it make you smile whenever you need it. 



    


I'm a Merry Christmas guy, but may the season find you healthy and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment