Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 15, 2011

Bo, Luke and me

Today i was taking advantage of the great weather and a day off by doing some errand running.  While out and about i was sitting at a traffic light, just gawking around amazed that grass was being cut and leaves were starting to bud when out of the corner of my eye I see it!  A utility type trailer (the kind that tilt for loading/unloading) making a perfect ramp.  I immediately flash back to 1979 and can almost hear the Dixie horn of the General Lee.  Light turns green, i floor it and tear ass right for the "ramp" and to make it even more perfect there was a cop coming the other way!  In my imagination, my jeep was a 1969 Dodge Charger racing towards freedom with that 426 Hemi roaring and rubber burning!  Awesome.

Now, obviously i didn't hit the ramp, nor did i engage the local police in a high speed chase.  I still can't shake it though.  I always wanted to be one of the "Duke Boys."  Still do.

 I know, I know..... it was a terrible show with unbelievable stunts and story lines.  If it was real life and the Dukes were your neighbors you would move!  Cops always there, the manufacture and distribution of moonshine, dynamite going off at all hours (dynamite?  Really?) and cars and trucks racing all around.  It would be TERRIBLE!  ugh... and that damn horn.  I bet  that thing would get old REAL quick if the Dukes lived in your hood.

All that being said, Bo and Luke helped give me a sense of right and wrong, standing up for what's right, a love of cars and a general distrust of the police.  I am kidding about the cops of course (mostly!) but that goofy, implausible, Smokey and the Bandit knock off did influence my young life and for that I am grateful.

I hope kids today have something like that.  Something that reinforces the good lessons your parents teach you.  Here's hoping!

Breaker, breaker - Buzzard to Lost Sheep, Buzzard to Lost Sheep!  Come in Lost Sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment